Explore the fjord
Every Friday in July
8:30am – 2pm
For grades 6th – 12th
Please carefully read below for camp updates due to Covid-19.
In light of COVID-19, Explore the Fjord will be a little different this summer (PLEASE READ THE COVID-19 SAFETY STATEMENT BELOW). Explore the Fjord will spend Fridays throughout the summer on trips around the Hood Canal watershed – the only Fjord in the lower 48 states! Participants will connect with their watershed through adventures and guidance provided by HCSEG staff. Participation will be limited to 8 students per day, and participants will be required to meet HCSEG staff at that weeks Explore the Fjord camp location. Please read the full camp updates and changes below before signing up for one of the below camp dates:
2020 Summer Activities
Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group COVID-19 Precautions
Here at the Salmon Center, we are giddy to start working with students, and sharing summer on the Hood Canal with our community. As always when running education programs, the safety of participants and staff is a top priority, and this summer brings new threats to that priority with Covid-19. We have diligently reviewed guidelines from the CDC, Washington State Department of Health, Mason County Public Health and the American Camp Association (https://www.acacamps.org/resource-library/coronavirus/camp-business/camp-operations-guide-summer-2020) while creating our safety policies and camp schedules for the season. These policies and procedures will be included below.
While the situation is ever-changing, we will keep you updated on any revisions to our protocols and procedures. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Lucas Marin, Education and Outreach Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-275-3575 ext. 103.
Here’s to another fun summer on the beautiful Hood Canal!
Our main tool to stop any spread of Covid is through changes in our camp schedule.
EXPLORE THE FJORD PROGRAM
- The Explore the Fjord day camp will continue to be held on Fridays throughout July.
- Campers will register online, and meet HCSEG staff at a designated Adventure Location within 45 min drive from Belfair, WA.
- Sign-ups are limited to 8 students per day, and students will be split into two groups of four, led by an HCSEG Educator throughout the day, to limit maximum groups size to five individuals.
- Each camper will be required to bring their own face mask, to be worn when space does not allow for social distancing, such as in a restroom.
- Campers will be required to bring their own lunch.
- We will provide hand sanitizer and other necessary disinfecting supplies.
- We require pre-screening of participants 14 days prior to a day of involvement (see downloadable form below).
- Campers will not be allowed to participate if they do not bring the screening form with them on day of participation.
- If you identify your camper as higher risk for complications related to COVID-19, we recommend you consult your camper’s medical care provider to assess their risk and determine if attendance is acceptable.
- Upon arrival each morning, we will inquire if your camper has any Covid-19 Symptoms and conduct temperature checks
Campers will not be allowed to participate if they do not bring the screening form with them on day of participation.
- Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group staff have been socially distancing and following CDC guidelines throughout the Stay at Home order, and will continue to do so in order to keep those we teach safe.
- Camp instructors have received training in their roles and responsibilities as they relate to COVID-19 precautions.